Welcome to Preps & Pints, the new Tuesday sports format on Pearls & Vodka!
Grab a pint of your favorite beer and read on…
A week ago last night college football season ended.
Here are the things I am currently mourning:
- College football has ended.
- Auburn lost their bowl game to UCF.
- Arkansas had a pretty crappy season.
- Clemson lost their playoff game.
- Alabama won the national championship game.
Here are the things I am celebrating:
- Auburn beat Alabama.
- Gus Malzahn got a contract extension.
- Arkansas has a new coaching staff.
- Clemson has 8 returning starters on defense.
- Baker Mayfield cannot be nominated for the Heisman again, following some horrible behavior.
Here are the things I’m looking forward to:
- Arkansas new offense and defense, trying a new thing, perhaps winning.
- Clemson returning a lot of starters on offense/defense.
- Auburn’s upcoming season. I think all the pieces could be coming together.
- Having the chance for two of my teams to beat Jimbo Fisher now that he’s in the SEC.
- Jake Fromm’s sophomore season, I just really like that kid.
Here are my hopes for college football:
- A new playoff system, where all conference champions play. Let’s be real UCF you would not have beaten Clemson, Alabama, Oklahoma or Georgia this season.
- A stronger since of responsibility for Heisman nominees and winners. I.E. Johnny Manziel and Baker Mayfield.
I love college football.
I love that it’s less about the millions and egos and more about school pride, tradition, proving themselves as athletes and coaches, and more of just that fun game atmosphere, reminiscent to the glory days of high school, but on a much larger scale.
Here are my predictions for the 2018 season:
- Georgia will lose their top running backs Sony Michel and Nick Chubb, but D’Andre Swift proved his a worthy backup. And QB Jake Fromm is cool under pressure and chalk-full of talent. I look for Georgia to be back at the top this coming season.
- Alabama, they just never go away, no matter how much disdain I have for Nick Saban. Tua Tagovailoa created quite a quarterback controversy coming off the bench and winning the national championship for the Tide.
- Clemson, returning starters, top recruits and Dabo. They will be at the top.
- Ohio State, ugh, another team I don’t love, has returning running backs J.K. Dobbins, defensive end Nick Bosa and Dwayne Haskins taking over the QB duties.
- My Auburn Tigers are back! Jarrett Stidham returns for his senior season. The running game and defense are losing some key players, but I’ve got faith! WAR EAGLE!
- Wisconsin’s defense will be one of the best in the nation. The Big Ten West is so weak, Wisconsin will come out on top again, three years in a row.
- Oklahoma is in good hands with Kyler Murray to take over for Baker Mayfield. The Sooner offense should be top-notch as usual.
- Miami will likely have a breakout season, even better than this past season. They are returning tons of talent and Mark Richt is one heck of a coach.
- Texas could finally return. Sam Ehlinger is settling in under center for the Longhorns and all the highly touted recruits are starting.
And with that friends, we close the chapter of the 2017 college football season, and are counting down the days until the 2018 season kicks off!
WPS! WDE! CLEMSO-N!